Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Invitation

The envelope was quite innocuous
The handwritten address piqued my interest
But I ripped through it without regard
The large elaborate bow was the first sign of discordance
All satiny and bright gold

Lying against its stiff cream cardboard bed.

Who could possibly be getting married that I didn’t know about?

With a growing sense of disquiet,

I gently unravelled the bow

Ahhhhhhhh.
I had been preparing myself for this

Yet it still caught me unawares

He
really was going to marry Her.
I couldn’t believe I actually got an invitation

Was I expected to attend?

Was I supposed to stand there and watch

As He pledged to love and honour Her?

Could I go and truly be happy for Them?


With several thoughts and memories swirling inside my head

I carefully re-tied the bow.

Taking care to ensure it looked perfect,

I slid it back into its torn shelter.

Picking up my other letters and bills,

I placed them into the bottom drawer of my desk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow..
so are u going? and is it someone you've blogged about?

Noni Moss said...

Loll - I didn't expect anyone to see this so quickly. :-)

This just came to me last night as I was falling asleep. I over-dramatised it. It's inspired by an event that happened a few years ago.

Kafo said...

ah i c
so did u go or not????

i love it

esp. the last three lines,
hmmm a conscious effort to return to life as normal??

Unknown said...

Nice return to poetry ... I like this, as usual, it says a lot in a few words.