Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Becoming Friends

This was the last major piece I wrote about Sadeeq who incidentally is now married. Sigh ... (for all sorts of reasons :-) but I'm happy for him)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


We had a long conversation
It was nice bumping into him again
I noticed the look of uncertainty in his eyes
Was I going to say hi or shun him this time?
A warm hug and kiss on both cheeks
He hadn’t changed much
Still the same engaging sile and charming personality

We laughed about past times
What happened to us
What happened after us
The embarrassing situations.
The scene we caused at the wedding
The morning after our last time
How he’d never meant to hurt me
How I’d really not gone around slandering his reputation

It was almost surreal realising we’d spoken for soo long
Made him realise how much he had missed me
Weird thinking I’d once imagined marrying him
Or that he’d once had the power to whirl my emotions
There are no more pangs of what could have been
No lingering sense of longing for a distant dream
Perhaps a slight hint of nostalgia for an eon of youth

We rounded up the conversation.
Gave him some tips for his soon to be fiancée
Discussed how scary the prospect of settling down.
Apologised for totally cutting him out of my life.
Promised to stay in touch.
And this time we will.
We have become friends.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow. i liked this. its really hard for me to remain friends with ex's. matter of fact, i go out of my way NOT to remain friends with them. I even go as far as detaching myself from mutual friends. It just gets too weird, and i dot like tension. anyway. nice one

Kafo said...

hmmm i like this

i like the fact that it is a story of some sort

i can almost imagine the scene the initial awkwardness and then the nervous laugh

so u guyz r seriously going to be friends
WOW
how does one do that

Anonymous said...

aww, friends...
don't i wish.