Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Home

I wrote this as I was editing the format for Africa. It just came to me and i was reminded of Nigeria and how much I miss it. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home is heat and humidity
Hot air like a vacuum that sucks out all moisture
Followed by a flitting flirtful breeze


Home is the hot spicy smell of cooked food
Flavours so intense your mouth dissolves
Tastes that command nothing short of gluttony


Home is the tensile climate
Where my skin glows, my hair shines, my nails pop
My body comes into its own


Home is where I find my rhythm
Where I glide gracefully and strut with pride
I dance like the flames of a roaring hungry fire


Home is where my innate style abounds
Head-ties reach for the sky and jewellery glisten from every orifice
Outlandish outfits are de rigueur


Home is where the colours live
Clash in vibrant war and jostle for space in obscure corners
Dictate the roles and functions of day to day life


Home is where the sounds delight
The dialects of my people sing and heady music guides out feet
The hustle and bustle a reverberating hum


Home is where my customs dicate
Where I kneel unselfconsciously in greeting
Serve unbidden with a happy heart and joyful spring


Home is my family
Where my ancestors and the extended fingers of relatives reside
Home is where my heart lies.


9 comments:

LondonBuki said...

Nice to see a post from you :-)

Wow... I can tell how much you love Nigeria.

Take care of yourself.

Unknown said...

Awww, this makes me miss Nigeria too! Again, very well written!

Oh by the way, I was first both times!

Noni Moss said...

Haha - sorry Vickii - looks like LB beat you here.

Thanks guys.

Kafo said...

ahhhhhhhhh omo now i will be dreaming of naija
and the weather
and the food
and the beaches
especially suyaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Poetic Justice said...

I wanna go home NOW! you put into words what I feel. Lost is the best way to describe being in another person's land.
How is where we all need to be

Noni Moss said...

Loll - thanks Kafo& Poetic. I actually dont want to go back that much - i just missed it a little. I'm a firm believer of "home is where you make it". Nigeria is only fun in small doses. :-) (at least for now ;-)

Anonymous said...

now you've got me feeling homesick...!

errmmm Miss Moss, how can i get into the chat room?

Noni Moss said...

Thanks Belle - for access, I just need your e-mail address. Send it to Noni.Moss@gmail.com or leave a comment with it.

laspapi said...

I like this. It tells of the hidden glories of our land.