Monday, November 20, 2006

Peering Through The Banisters

Dedicated to all the children who have escaped through the rabbit hatch - broken bones and all.

Everchange also has an interesting post, which dwelves into the psyche of abusers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m crouching at the top of the stairs
The sounds woke us up
Richard followed to see what was going on
Raised voices, Mummy shouting
(Mummy never shouts)


I try and make myself as small as possible
So they don’t notice me
She’s struggling for the door
He lifts her and slams her to the ground.
Richard gasps in shock
I clasp my hand to his mouth
To keep him from shouting out
(HE mustn’t notice us!)


Mummy flies and jumps over him
She is almost through the door
He slams it hard on her
I hear something crunching
She cries out in pain.
“I’m leaving William, I’m leaving!
You can’t stop me
You are going to have to kill me …”


My heart is racing
I start to cry silently
My mind is torn in two
Part of me wants her to go,
Flee the night, escape.
The other part is scared
(Please don’t leave me Mummy
Don’t leave me here with him)


They continue to struggle on the floor
He’s hitting her repeatedly
I can see her blood staining the carpet
She turns her head and our eyes meet
She sighs and shakes her head
She didn’t want me to see this
The fight has left her.


He looks up and catches us
Terror clamps my chest
“Go back to your room NOW!”
We get up and run to bed
I hide under my blanket and listen out
I hear nothing.


The next morning.
We wake up and go down for breakfast
Everyone sits at their normal places
Except for the housegirl scrubbing the carpet,
We all act like nothing happened.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

As with a lot of your posts, I'm have no doubt that this is based on a real experience but I'm not sure whether it's yours or not. If it is yours, I'm sorry you and your mum and Richard had to go through this and I hope you've all come to terms with it and moved on. Actually, I feel the same for anyone who has gone through something like this.

I hate hearing stories of domestic abuse because it reminds me of just how prevalent it is and how it happens to people whom you would never suspect are going through it.

Very emotive poem and I like the way you convey the story and emotions simply but expertly. Another great poem!

soul said...

it's that look in her eyes..
it's almost like...
I'm fighting for you, help me.. as well as.. I don't want you to see this.

It's kinda like, hopelessness and betrayal all rolled into one.
I hate that look.

Noni Moss said...

Exactly. I just hate the whole helpness of the situation.

Anonymous said...

this was so beautifully written, i wish it were fictional.. its so sad that people actually have to endure such hurt.

Noni Moss said...

Awww - thank you my dear.

Poetic Justice said...

What hurts the most is that these things happen a lot. My aunt was dragged on the concrete of her parking lot in front of the house in the snow into the house from the car. Her kids were in the car and I was with them

I will never forget how I watched him kick and drag her and all we could do was hold our ears and cry as we heard the breaking noises and her screams coming from the home

This poem makes me relive that. No one has to put up with that. I am sorry for yoru pain. As real as the story is, the pain is deeper but you have found a way to grow and you are a better person for that

Noni Moss said...

Thank you poetic. That must also have been painful for you to witness