Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Losing Joy

I am forgetting how to smile
Twice thrice now
Random people have stopped me
And asked me to smile
And it's taken a few seconds ...
To understand what they mean
I am so wrapped up
In my troubles and travails
I am forgetting how to smile.

I am forgetting how to laugh
My never ending peals of laughter
Now become a long distant memory
For my friends and family
And people around me.
I fail at jokes
At the understanding and the telling
The little things that used to
Drive tears of merriment in droves
Make my jaw ache
Leave me struggling for breath ...
Are failing to have an impact
I'm forgetting I used to laugh

I am forgetting how to love
Romantic movies hold no resonance with me
Tragedies seem overwrought 
They stir no feelings
Jaded cynicism weilds a tight leash on my emotions
The news has stopped being depressing
It is now just boring
I'm losing all sense of empathy
I'm forgetting how to love
Have I ever loved?

No comments: