Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My First Time

All my friends had started
They talked about it constantly
It was a regular occurrence.

Every now and then you’d see a girl walking funny

And you just knew

She had started too.


I remember the day it happened.

I was in the bathtub, taking a shower

When,

I saw a spot of blood.

A blob of red in the midst of all that white
.

In bewilderness,

I first looked up at the ceiling.

Seeing nothing amiss,

I stared at that spot for a long moment.

Realisation began to dawn

But I wanted to be sure.

I picked up my left foot

Nothing.

I lifted my right foot

Still nothing.

I sat on the edge of the bathtub.

What could this be?

Was this what I thought it was?

I got up to stand in the middle once more

Then I knew for sure.


Getting dressed,

I made sure to wear a skirt and no panties

Didn’t want to get them stained.

I went down to the kitchen where my mother was cooking

Quite calmly and carefully, I asked

“Mummy … have you got any sanitary towels?”


She regarded me silently for a long long time
Dropping the spoon, she wiped her hands on her apron and walked out.
Even then I could read the glimmer in her eye
Her little girl was growing up
At age 12, I had officially become a woman.

10 comments:

soul said...

ahhhh....
I bet your mummy shed a tear.

Noni Moss said...

Lollll - yeah i'm sure she did.

Poetic Justice said...

Wow! That was interesting. I remember I was 9 and it was the most embarassing thing ever!

Poetic Justice said...

Hmmmmm! loved it.
My mother told my father and they killed a chicken for my first time. The whole family found out because we had the biggest chicken cooking in the kichen. Very embarrassing. Then we had to talk about how "don't sit on boys laps because you get pregnant" with my father smiling. Very embarrasing

Anyway, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am back and focusing on my poetry so the other blog is off the air for now.

Noni Moss said...

LMAO!!! Sorry i can imagine it was embarrassing but it's hella funny.

? said...

Bless you

Unknown said...

I was in boarding school my first time, probably 12 and as if my mum had a sixth sense about it, for the first time that semester she had given me two packs of sanitary towels when i was going back. It wasn't very eventful, I knew what it was, knew how sanitary towels worked and got on with it.

Lol at poetic Justice's story!

Rose Ghost said...

I was 13 and nine months. I'll never forget it! :-) I need to catch up on your poetry, I've had a quick look at some of the others and its all gold, as ever. i wish there was more of it though. *Hugs*

And yeah, I got the 'you can get pregnant now' talk as well. :-)

Diary of a Mad Soul Sista said...

awwwww

EDNUTEY said...

awwww, lol
when mine started my mom was not around, I was too shy to even say it out...I eventually did...it's embarassing u know..and nasty too...but hey, we liek it or not, u have to go tru dat process

LMAO@Poetic Justice..y'all killed a chicken
lmao